What We Circulate
An active membership card in good standing must be presented at checkout for materials or museum passes. Sign-up for a library card if you don't have one yet! With your library card you can borrow:
- Books & magazines (print & digital)
- Movies (DVDs, Blu-ray, & digital)
- Music (CDs & digital)
- Audiobooks (CDs & digital)
- Video games (Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii, PlayStation 2, Gamecube)
- Video game systems (Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 2, SNES Classic, NES Classic, Sega Genesis Mini)
- Museum passes (select locations in NH & MA; typically limited to 1 per day. Reserve online at website/in person at library)
- A telescope
- Kill-a-Watt meters
- Baking trays/molds (select locations)
- Board games
- Makerspace kits
Lending: There is no limit on the number of items borrowed on a card provided the user account has less than $5 in fines and is in good standing. Most items circulate for 2 weeks, with the exception of:
- Museum Passes (circulate overnight)
- Books To Go (copies of newer, popular items; circulate for 7 days)
- Selected newer releases of DVDs (circulate for 7 days)
- Special collections items
Replacement Costs: Borrowers are liable for the replacement cost of any item that is damaged, lost, or stolen while in their possession or checked out on their library card.
The library does not restrict access to any materials on the basis of a person's color, religion, national origin, disability, political views, socio-economic status, sex, or age. Equal access to our collection and services is essential to our mission for the entire community.
Requesting Materials: Items in the catalog that are listed as "In" can be placed on hold either online or in-person. However, if someone else borrows the material between the time you place the request and a staff member retrieves it, your name will still appear on that item's "Hold List" and you will be notified when that item is returned.
- All "hold requests" are pulled from the stacks twice a day, time-permitting
- Once an item is ready for pick-up, the patron will be notified by email or phone
- Items are held for 5 days from the time of notification. If not picked up within that time, staff will need to release the hold to make it available to other users.
Regarding Temporarily Unavailable Items: Some items are temporarily unavailable to borrow because they have a status of "Checked out", "In-process", or "On-order". Cardholders may still request the item by placing a hold request online, in person at the Circulation or Reference Desks, or via telephone. However, there may be a waiting list for popular items. In the event that materials are not available for immediate checkout (due to varying library policies), please visit our Reference Desk to be assisted via Interlibrary Loan.
Interlibrary Loans (Requests for Items Not Available in the GMILCS Consortium): If an item cannot be requested from one of the participating GMILCS consortium libraries, please visit our Reference Desk. They may be able to request items from other libraries as an interlibrary loan (ILL) request either within the state of NH (free of charge) or from libraries in other states (fees may apply).
Renewing Borrowed Material: Most materials may be renewed twice, either in person, by telephone during business hours, or online via our Catalog.
- Items for which another patron has placed a "hold request" cannot be renewed.
- The number of renewals allowed may vary for materials borrowed from other GMILCS libraries, as per their individual policies.
- Renewing an item that is already overdue will avoid accruing additional fines. However, all fines that have accrued prior to renewal will remain on the account until paid.
Returning Borrowed Material: Cardholders are responsible for the timely return of library materials. There are several places to return your items:
1) Circulation Desk drop slot (during business hours)
2) Exterior book drop slot at the main entrance door (after hours)
3) Remote book drop at the Merrimack Fire Department Station #2 (196 Naticook Rd.)
Note: Please DO NOT return museum passes or ILL loans to this book drop!
4) Any participating GMILCS member library (with the exception of museum passes and ILL loans)
All borrowing is free (with the exception of certain ILL loaned items) if materials are checked in by closing time on the grace day. Overdue fines vary by material.
- Most items: $0.10 per item per day is assessed on most overdue materials
- Books-To-Go and ILL-loaned items: $0.25 per item per day
- DVDs, VHS tapes, music CDs, video games and the telescope: $1.00 per item per day
- Museum Passes: $2.50 per day.
At any one time, maximum fines are $5 per item and $20 per card. Borrowing privileges may be suspended for accrued fines of more than $5.00 per card or for materials that are still overdue.
Paying Fines & Fees: Overdue fines can be paid either online or at the Circulation Desk. Replacement fees should be paid in person at the library.
- At the Circulation Desk: Cash and personal checks only!
- Online: Cardholders can pay overdue fines online with a credit card. A $2.00 non-refundable convenience fee will be assessed with each electronic payment made in this way. Note that the eCommerce portal should be accessed using a secure internet connection; the library's public Wi-Fi network is not secure.
Lost or Damaged Materials:
- Borrowers are liable for the repair or replacement cost of any item that is damaged, lost or stolen, while in their possession, or checked out on their library card. Replacement costs will be assessed for lost or damaged items.
- Sometimes people want to provide the library with a replacement copy instead of paying the list price of the lost/damaged items. A replacement item can only be accepted at the discretion of respective department heads. Please speak to the Circulation Staff if you have any questions.