Library cards are issued at no charge to:
- Merrimack residents
- Merrimack property owners
- Anyone employed in Merrimack
- Anyone attending school in Merrimack
- Current members of the Greater Merrimack Souhegan Valley Chamber of Commerce with businesses that do not have a storefront located in Merrimack may apply for a non-resident card at a reduced fee of 50% off the current rate.
Please visit the Library in person and bring a photo ID and proof of address, employment, or educational enrollment. First-time registrants may also preregister online.
- Children: Must be 5 years old and be able to print their own name to qualify for a card. Those under age 16 must be accompanied by a parent when applying for a library card.
- Non-residents: Those who do not qualify for a card as per the conditions above may purchase a card for $100.00 per year with valid ID.
As a member of the GMILCS, Inc. consortium, we are able to extend borrowing privileges to include materials from other participating libraries in the area (for cardholders in good standing). The extension of these privileges and responsibilities may vary based on individual library policies.
Cardholders are encouraged to care for borrowed library items as if they were their own. Careful and gentle usage extends shelf life and helps keep operating expenses down. By accepting a card from the Merrimack Public Library, the cardholder agrees to:
- Accept responsibility for any use of the card
- Follow all Library policies and procedures
- Present the card for all account transactions
- Pay all fees and replacement costs
- Report a lost or stolen card
- Report changes to address, phone number, or the cardholder's name
Library Card Expirations & Renewals
All library cards expire at set intervals, regardless of use. A valid photo ID and proof of eligibility are required to renew a library account. Cards can be renewed in person at the Circulation Desk or online via our Online Card Renewal Form. Accounts that have been expired for more than 3 years with less than $10.00 in fees are automatically deleted from our database. See our Circulation Policy (link opens PDF) for a list of documentation to verify eligibility.
Resident Library Cards: Resident cards expire every 3 years and can be renewed with proof of residency. Residents can renew their cards over the phone for a limited membership extension, during which time they are expected to provide proof of residency in person or online for full renewal.
Non-Resident Cards: Non-Resident cards expire every year and can be renewed with proof of employment, property ownership, or educational enrollment.
- Non-Residents who are unable to provide proof of employment, property ownership, or educational enrollment may purchase a yearly membership and can renew their cards with a valid photo ID and payment of $100 (in cash, check, or online).
Members in good standing are eligible for 1 free replacement card per membership year. Thereafter, a $5 fee is charged for each replacement within that membership year.
Accessing Your Library Account Online
Cardholders can access their library card account online. Select 'Log In' from the library catalog and enter your library card number (without any spaces) and 4-character PIN. If you don't already have a PIN, need to reset it, or are having problems accessing your account, visit or call the Circulation Desk for assistance. Once logged in, you will be able to:
- View materials that are checked out on your account
- Renew items (as long as they have not been requested by another patron)
- Request items
- Pay fees electronically (additional fee required for online payment; see "Paying Fees")